Photography – Bobby Bense & Helen Janneson Bense
Model/Styling – Helen Janneson Bense
Location – Centara Grand Resort & Spa – Krabi, Thailand
“Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass….It’s about learning to dance in the rain” – Vivian Greene
This quote has never been as relevant as it was for our recent wanderlust adventures to beautiful Thailand. The day we arrived, so did a crazy monsoon. I must say even though I envisioned my time away with never-ending sunshine, it was a wonderful opportunity for both Bobby and I to embrace the uncertainty of life and find gratitude for all the unexpected blessings. It forced us deeper into ourselves, to reflect and discover what we actually love most about holidays is connection. We still had many pockets of sunshine where the rain and wind slipped away momentarily and we made the absolute most out of it.
We ventured to Krabi first, and discovered this stunning region walled with grand size limestone karsts providing a completely majestic and breathtaking backdrop. It’s a rock climbers paradise and feels a little like a scene from Jurassic Park. We stayed at the luxurious Centara Grand Resort with it’s own pristine private beach. Accessible only by boat or a jungle monkey trail from the nearby town, it’s surrounded by giant awe inspiring cliffs, clear turquoise waters and some of the softest sand I’ve ever felt. It’s a completely magical setting that instantly evokes a relaxed, holiday vibe. We enjoyed the privacy and seclusion of the location, whilst just a short boat ride or hike, you can venture out to the bustling markets, cafes and bars of Krabi. We never felt the urge to leave though as the resort had so much to offer. You can literally jump in a kayak straight from the beach and head out and explore the limestone karsts and turquoise lagoons. The whole area is surrounded by the most amazing beaches, abundant with incredible underwater life. You can take a boat tour to the surrounding islands, or head out for some scuba diving or snorkelling. Enjoy sunset dinners on the beach, jungle hikes, or laze by the multi level pool and spa with a cocktail in hand as you watch the immaculate view of the Andaman sea.
I was lucky enough to celebrate my 39th!! birthday here and indulge in one of the best massages I’ve ever had at their divine day spa. I was lulled into a deep trance and quite possibly this moment was one of the most relaxed I’ve ever felt. Later this evening we were then treated to an amazing Teppenyaki dinner, as we were serenaded with live music, a super friendly atmosphere, creating the perfect holiday ambience we were looking for. We were lucky enough to meet so many amazing travellers here, ending the night with one two many cocktails at the very cool Blu bar. One of the best parts about travelling is all the awesome people you meet and wonderful connections you make. No matter how transient these may be, they are a huge highlight of any adventure abroad.
I’m so excited to explore more of Krabi next time I head back to Thailand. More adventure awaits! ;)
With love and gratitude,
Travel Tips :
- Rainy season in Thailand is typically from May-November though I’ve been in June and it was sunshine and blue skies with just a light misting so you never know. And it’s still so wonderful even when it is raining :)
- When travelling to Krabi or any of the islands by boat, I’d suggest arriving in the daylight hours, so the transfer from car, boat to resort is seamless.
- The monkeys here are some the bravest I’ve encountered so watch your stuff, they will take it if you leave it unattended.
- If you stay at Centara Grand Resort in Krabi definitely opt for a club room. The extra is well worth all the additional advantages that come with this room type. There is an almost non stop serving of food and drink from the Club lounge and happy hour is so amazing you might not even be able to fit in dinner!
- Also make sure you order Strawberry Margaritas here…they are the BEST! ;)
© Copyright all text and images GypsyLovinLight 2015